Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

France's Weinsteins: Watershed moment in fight against sexual abuse?

Read more

FOCUS

A shield and a target: France's anti-terrorism operation 'Sentinelle'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MeToo and #BalanceTonPorc expose extent of sexual harassment

Read more

ENCORE!

Musical maestro Philippe Jordan on bringing passion to the Paris Opera

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Black day for democracy': Malta in mourning after top journalist is murdered

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Has the Weinstein scandal 'freed' women from their silence?

Read more

THE DEBATE

Europe’s newest face: Kurz’s election win indicates rightward shift for Austria

Read more

FOCUS

Turkey's brain drain: Turning their backs on limited freedom, declining economy

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Internet giants: Too big to be taxed?

Read more

France

Suspect in Louvre museum attack placed under formal investigation

© Alain Jocard, AFP | Policemen arrive at the Louvre museum on February 3, 2017, shortly after a soldier shot and gravely injured a machete-wielding assailant.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2017-02-10

A man who attacked soldiers with machetes at the Louvre museum in Paris was placed under formal investigation on Friday, a judicial source said.

Egyptian Abdullah Reda al-Hamahmy, 29, was shot and seriously wounded when he launched himself at a group of soldiers on Feb. 3, crying out "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) in what French President Francois Hollande described as a terrorist attack.

Louvre attack: visitors shaken but unscathed

He has told police that he identified with the beliefs of Islamic State but he had not carried out the attack on orders from the militant group, a judicial source told Reuters earlier on Wednesday.

"The accused was put under formal investigation for alleged attempted murder of public servicemen...in connection with a terrorist venture and criminal terrorist conspiracy...with a view to prepare crime," the judicial source said on Friday.

The source added that Hamahmy was still in hospital.

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2017-02-10

  • FRANCE

    Louvre attack suspect ‘did not act on orders from IS group’

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Louvre attack suspect now talking to investigators

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Visitors emerge shaken but unscathed by Louvre attacker

    Read more

COMMENT(S)