Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

REPORTERS

The booming business of cannabis in Spain

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Tanzanian President dismisses almost 10,000 public servants over forged college certificates

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

French Election: Abstention, Anger & Apathy

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Macron vs. Le Pen: France's bitter presidential run-off race (part 1)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Trump's First 100 Days, The Pope in Egypt (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

Egypt's Coptic Christians targeted by Islamic State group

Read more

THE CAMPAIGN BEAT

France's wartime past takes centre stage in presidential campaign

Read more

#TECH 24

How one NGO is using 3D printers to improve disaster relief

Read more

REVISITED

What remains of Nicaragua’s revolution?

Read more

Europe

One dead, two injured after car ploughs into crowd in Germany

© R. Priebe, DPA/AFP | Police vehicle and ambulance stand in front of a business building in Heidelberg, where a man ploughed into pedestrians on February 25.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2017-02-25

A car ploughed into a crowd in the southern German city of Heidelberg on Saturday, killing one person and injuring two others, police said. The driver was shot and arrested.

A 73-year-old German man died in hospital after he was seriously injured when a vehicle ploughed into a group of people standing outside a bakery, police and prosecutors said in a joint statement.

The two other victims – a 32-year-old Austrian man and a 29-year-old woman from Bosnia and Herzegovina – received medical treatment but were later discharged.

German authorities said earlier that the driver emerged from the vehicle carrying a knife. Police shot him and placed him under arrest, and he is now at a hospital in Heidelberg.

Investigations by the public prosecutors' office and local criminal police were continuing, but police said there have so far been no signs of the perpetrator having any links to terrorism.

"There are no indications of a terrorist background," said police spokesman David Faulhaber, adding that he could not comment on the possible motive for the attack.

Regional newspaper "Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung" cited police as saying the suspect was a young German man. The newspaper said the suspect initially stopped at a red traffic light. When it turned green, he drove at high speed into a group of people and then smashed into a pillar.

German authorities have been on high alert since a failed Tunisian asylum-seeker drove a truck into a Christmas market in Berlin on December 19, killing 12 people.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP and REUTERS)

Date created : 2017-02-25

  • GERMANY

    Video: Germany steps up New Year’s Eve security after Berlin attack

    Read more

  • BERLIN

    Berlin truck attack suspect killed in shootout in Milan

    Read more

  • GERMANY

    Islamic State group claims responsibility for Berlin truck attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)