Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

Robert Mugabe resigns: 'Hip Hip Harare'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

UN tribunal decides fate of Mladic, 'Butcher of the Balkans'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Celebrations erupt in the streets of Harare as Mugabe resigns

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Zimbabwe's end of an era

Read more

FOCUS

Video: An uncertain fate for US's transgender soldiers

Read more

THE DEBATE

Enslaved in Libya: What to do about exploited African migrants?

Read more

ENCORE!

Seal on his new album 'Standards' and why he doesn't like texting

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'The End of German Stability'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Bad news for Merkel is bad news for Europe'

Read more

France

France opens murder probe into family’s mysterious disappearance

© Jean-Sebastien Evrard, AFP | This picture taken on February 24, 2017 in Orvault, near Nantes, shows the house of the Troadec family, whose members have been missing for two weeks.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2017-02-28

French investigators have opened a murder probe after bloodstains were found at the home of a family of four whose mysterious disappearance has stumped the nation.

The Troadec family -- Pascal and Brigitte, both aged around 50, their son Sebastien, 21, and his sister Charlotte, 18 -- have not been seen since February 16.

Bloodstains found in their house, in a suburb of the western city of Nantes, so far match the DNA of three of the four missing persons, prosecutor Pierre Sennès said late Monday.

Sennès said a probe has been opened into murder, abduction and illegal confinement in a case that has baffled the French press.

Several media reports recalled a murder in 2011 of five members of the same family, also in the Nantes area, noting that Sebastien attended the same high school as one of the victims.

The father, Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès, remains at large and is the target of an international arrest warrant.

House ‘frozen in time’

Sennès said bloodstains were found throughout the Troadec’s two-storey house, including on Sebastien's cellphone and on Brigitte's watch, as well as efforts to wipe some of them away.

No toothbrushes or hairbrushes were found in the house, and the beds had been stripped, with some sheets drying on an indoor rack.

Food was going off in the refrigerator and there were dishes in the sink, the prosecutor said, adding that there had been no activity in any of the four family members' bank accounts, and their cellphones had not been activated since February 17.

Sebastien's cellphone was the last to be switched off, he said.

"It's as if the life of the house was frozen in time," Sennès said.

Missing car

Neighbours and a source close to the probe said Sebastien had had psychological problems and Pascal had suffered from depression in the past.

Sennes noted that Sebastien had been sentenced to carry out community service after being convicted in 2013, when he was a minor, for making death threats on his blog.

But classmates of Sebastien's interviewed by French media described a quiet, friendly youth, with one saying he was "always ready to help out".

Both Sebastien and Charlotte had been at the family home during the just-ended school holidays.

Sennès said the parents' car was parked outside the house, but investigators have been unable to find Sebastien's car.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
 

Date created : 2017-02-28

  • FRANCE

    International alert issued for father of slain Nantes family

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Police searching for missing family make gruesome find

    Read more

COMMENT(S)