Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South African court bars schools from promoting any one religion

Read more

THE DEBATE

Wannacry more: How vulnerable are we to cyber attacks?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Time to remove fake Trump 'Time' covers from display!

Read more

FOCUS

Spain struggles to tackle violence against women

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

How drones are transforming the battleground in Syria

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: The Netflix debate, 'Faces Places' and 'Marnie'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Over 8,000 migrants rescued from Mediterranean in 48 hours

Read more

THE DEBATE

Farewell to arms? Crucial step for Colombia peace process

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Angela Merkel softens resistance to gay marriage

Read more

Middle East

Amnesty condemns US, UK over Yemen arms

© AFP file photo | Amnesty International says civilians are paying the price for US and British arms transfers to Saudi Arabia to use in its war in Yemen.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2017-03-23

Amnesty International on Thursday condemned the United States and Britain for transferring arms to Saudi Arabia to use in its war in Yemen.

The rights group said the two countries had together sent more than five billion dollars (4.6 billion euros) worth of arms to Riyadh since a Saudi-led coalition intervened in Yemen in March 2015.

That was more than 10 times their humanitarian aid to Yemen during the same period, it said.

The London-based watchdog described the alleged arms transfers as a "shameful contradiction" of aid efforts by the United States and Britain.

"These governments have continued to authorise such arms transfers at the same time as providing aid to alleviate the very crisis they have helped to create," said Lynn Maalouf, Amnesty's deputy director of research for the Middle East and North Africa.

"Yemeni civilians continue to pay the price of these brazenly hypocritical arms supplies."

In March 2015, Saudi Arabia and its Gulf allies launched an air campaign to support Yemen's president against Shiite Houthi rebels who had seized control of northern Yemen and the capital Sanaa.

More than 7,700 civilians have since been killed and a further 40,000 wounded, according to the United Nations. Seven million Yemenis now face starvation, it says.

The United States has become increasingly involved in the conflict since Donald Trump took office in January.

The Pentagon says it has carried out 40 air raids this month against Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition has come under repeated criticism over civilian casualties in Yemen.

Earlier this month, Amnesty accused the Saudi-led coalition of using banned cluster munitions in raids on residential areas.

Amnesty said the bombs, made in Brazil, had been used in multiple attacks since October 2015, most recently last month in the Houthi-controlled northern Saada region.

In December the coalition admitted it had made "limited use" of British-made cluster bombs. It maintains it does not deliberately target civilians.

(AFP)

Date created : 2017-03-23

  • YEMEN

    US soldier killed in raid on al Qaeda in Yemen

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    Dozens of Yemeni soldiers killed in Aden suicide bombing

    Read more

  • YEMEN

    Saudi-led strike on security complex kills scores in Yemen

    Read more

COMMENT(S)