Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Rwanda banking on new technology to boost economy

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'No regrets' on FARC peace deal, says Colombia's Santos

Read more

ENCORE!

Colombia: How culture is helping to change a nation

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Chad added to US travel ban list

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Alstom, Siemens boards consider train builder merger

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Macron's EU plans thwarted by German election'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Online reactions to Kurdish referendum

Read more

THE DEBATE

Iraq's Kurds: Will referendum really lead to independence?

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Catalonia independence vote: Tensions rise between Barcelona and Madrid

Read more

Becker's ex-business partner demands 36.5m-euro payment

© AFP/File | This photo taken on June 3, 2016 shows German former tennis player Boris Becker attending the men's semi-final match between Austria's Dominic Thiem and Serbia's Novak Djokovic at the Roland Garros 2016 French Tennis Open in Paris

BERLIN (AFP) - 

A former business partner of German tennis star Boris Becker, who was last month declared bankrupt, is demanding the payment of 36.5 million euros which he claims he is owned by the former world number one.

Swiss businessman Hans-Dieter Cleven claims he is owed 40 million Swiss francs ($41.4 million, 36.5 million euros) by Becker but did not reveal the origin of the sum.

"After the recent decision by a court in London to declare Boris Becker bankrupt was made public, the former business partner of Boris Becker, entrepreneur Hans-Dieter Cleven felt obliged to enforce his demands in light of that procedure," law firm GHM Partners acting for Cleven said in a statement.

Becker's lawyer Christian-Oliver Moser told German news agency DPA, that Cleven was "lobbying in public" to win an "unfounded claim".

Becker -- who won six Grand Slams in the 1980s and '90s; three Wimbledon, two Australian Open and one US Open title -- has denied he is bankrupt and told the German press he can meet all his obligations.

The 49-year-old is currently working as a television pundit during the Wimbledon championship in London.

© 2017 AFP