Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Stars join call to #FreeCyntoiaBrown

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Emmerson Mnangagwa to be sworn in as President on Friday

Read more

THE DEBATE

Hard bargaining: Lebanon prime minister returns and suspends resignation

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Keepers of the flame: Native American communities seeking to protect their cultural legacy

Read more

FOCUS

Tunisians disillusioned, seven years after revolution

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Indonesia: New orangutan species found in Sumatra

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Meet the 16-year-old behind the hijab emoji

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: 'Battle of the Sexes', 'Jupiter’s Moon', 'Reinventing Marvin'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Robert Mugabe resigns: 'Hip Hip Harare'

Read more

Africa

Libyan militia leader declares Benghazi ‘liberated’ of jihadists

© Abdullah Doma / AFP | Troops loyal to Khalifa Haftar celebrate as they arrive in the eastern city of Benghazi on June 5, 2017.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2017-07-06

Libyan military strongman Khalifa Haftar on Wednesday announced the "total liberation" of second city Benghazi, which was overrun by jihadists three years ago.

"After a continuous struggle against terrorism and its agents that lasted more than three years... we announce to you the liberation of Benghazi from terrorism," Haftar, in full military regalia, said in a speech broadcast on television.

"Today Benghazi enters a new era of peace, security, reconciliation.... and reconstruction," said Haftar, paying homage to "a caravan of martyrs" who fell in the battle for the city.

Field Marshal Haftar declared war on jihadists in Benghazi, three years after the 2011 uprising that toppled and killed Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

Code-named Operation Dignity, the assault led by Haftar targeted several jihadists groups which had overrun Benghazi after the uprising.

These include the Revolutionary Shura Council of Benghazi, an alliance of Islamist militias among them suspected members of the Islamic state group and the Al-Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Sharia.

Haftar's announcement came only hours after his self-styled Libyan National Army said they had cornered the last jihadists in a neighbourhood of the eastern city, which had been the cradle of the uprising.

The LNA said they were surrounding the jihadists in Al-Sabri central district after routing them from the Soug al-Hout neighbourhood.

LNA General Abdessalam al-Hassi told AFP the jihadists were cornered in a small part of Al-Sabri and under attack from air strikes, as well as ground forces on three fronts.

Last week a medical source in the city said 44 LNA soldiers had been killed in June alone in Al-Sabri and Soug al-Hout.

Haftar does not recognise the authority of the UN-backed Government of National Accord in Tripoli and instead backs a rival parliament based in the country's far east.

In May, the Libyan foreign minister said Haftar must accept civilian rule in order to play a role in the future of the North African country.

"Haftar must first accept to work under a civilian authority and officially approve the political deal" that gave rise to the power-sharing authority, Mohamed al-Taher Siala told AFP.

Libya has been wracked by chaos since the 2011 uprising, with rival authorities and militias battling for control of the oil-rich country.

(AFP)

Date created : 2017-07-06

  • Libya

    Libya rocket attack kills five on Tripoli beach

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    ICC calls for arrest of Saif al-Islam Gaddafi

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    More than 100 killed in attack on southern Libya airbase

    Read more

COMMENT(S)