Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Madagascar political crisis: top court orders formation of unity government

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ireland's abortion referendum

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Weinstein in court; Ireland abortion vote; Italy's populist takeover

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Sugar and spice: The flavours of the French Caribbean

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

The French are so rude! Or are they?

Read more

REVISITED

Video: After key battle, Syrian town of Kobane looks to the future

Read more

ENCORE!

The writing's on the wall: Revolutionary posters from May 68

Read more

REPORTERS

'We heard there might be a civil war': May 68 seen from abroad

Read more

#THE 51%

U.S. mid-terms: Record number of women running and winning primaries

Read more

Africa

Last-minute candidate challenges Sisi in Egypt's election

© AFP | Presidential candidate Moussa Mustafa Moussa (C-L), the head of the Ghad Party, enters the National Elections Authority in Cairo on January 29, 2018.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2018-01-29

An Egyptian politician emerged just ahead of a deadline on Monday as the sole challenger to President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi in an election in March the incumbent is set to win after other candidates withdrew citing repression.

Mousa Mostafa Mousa leads the Ghad party that has endorsed Sisi for a second term and even organised events to help nominate the former military commander as recently as last week.

Sisi was elected in 2014, a year after leading the army to oust President Mohamed Mursi, an Islamist. It is the third election since protests in 2011 unseated long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak.

Several leading opposition figures called on Sunday for an election boycott, blaming repression that has cleared the field of challengers and left Sisi's top opponent in jail.

At the time of Mousa's registration, his personal Facebook page included a cover photo with Sisi's face and "we support you as president of Egypt" written beneath it.

"We were supporting President Sisi before the decision to participate was taken," deputy head of the Ghad party Mahmoud Mousa told Reuters.

"We have a respectable programme that we are offering to the Egyptian people and we are presenting ourselves just like any other candidate would," he said.

Mousa said he registered his candidacy at the electoral commission after having collected the required number of nomination pledges, submitting his official paperwork just minutes before the final deadline.

A member of the Egyptian special forces stands guard in front of the National Election Authority in Cairo on January 29, 2018. © Mohamed el-Shahed | AFP

Would-be candidates were required to register by 2 p.m. (1200 GMT) on Monday after clinching at least 20 nominations from parliament or 25,000 pledges from citizens across the country.

Mousa said he had netted 47,000 pledges and the backing of 27 lawmakers. The electoral commission said last week that Sisi had earned more than 1 million pledges. Over 500 of parliament's 595 lawmakers had already pledged support for Sisi.

The vote, slated for March 26-28, has come under heavy criticism from the United Nations, rights groups, and opposition figures who say its environment has been compromised by intimidation of opposition supporters, arrests, and a nomination process stacked in favour of the incumbent.

The electoral commission has said that it will ensure the vote is fair and transparent.

The last-minute bid comes days after Hisham Genena, a former anti-corruption watchdog chief who had been working to elect former military chief of staff Sami Anan, was attacked and badly wounded outside his home on Saturday.

Anan's campaign was abruptly halted after he was arrested last week and accused of running for office without military permission.

Following the attack, a group of prominent figures including members of Anan's campaign, former Islamist presidential candidate Abdel Moneim Abol Foutoh, and Mohamed Anwar Sadat, who halted his own presidential bid out of concern for the safety of his campaigners, called for a boycott.

They said the state's policies were paving the way for extended limits to presidential terms and were "removing any opportunity for the peaceful transfer of power". 

(REUTERS)

Date created : 2018-01-29

  • EGYPT

    Pence starts Middle East tour in Egypt amid Arab anger over Jerusalem

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Egypt's Sisi seeks re-election unopposed as challengers drop out

    Read more

  • THE YEAR AHEAD

    Strongmen and comeback kids: elections to look out for in 2018

    Read more

COMMENT(S)