A chemical attack on a rebel-held town in eastern Ghouta has killed dozens of people, medical services reported Sunday, with US President Donald Trump warning Syria's Bashar al-Assad that there will be "a big price to pay".
A joint statement by the medical relief organisation Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) and the civil defence service, which operates in rebel-held areas, said 49 people had died in the attack late on Saturday. Others put the toll even higher.
"Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria. Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian Army, making it completely inaccessible to outside world. President Putin, Russia and Iran are responsible for backing Animal Assad. Big price to pay..." Trump wrote on Twitter.
Many dead, including women and children, in mindless CHEMICAL attack in Syria. Area of atrocity is in lockdown and encircled by Syrian Army, making it completely inaccessible to outside world. President Putin, Russia and Iran are responsible for backing Animal Assad. Big price...Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 8, 2018
The Russian foreign ministry warned against any military action on the basis of "invented and fabricated excuses", saying this could lead to severe consequences.
The United States launched a cruise missile strike on a Syrian air base last year in response to a sarin gas attack in northwestern Syria blamed on Assad.
The standoff between the US and Russia saw both countries request urgent meetings of the UN Security Council on Sunday, with Moscow calling for the 15-member council to discuss "international threats to peace and security".
A minute later the US, France, Britain, Sweden, Poland, the Netherlands, Kuwait, Peru and Ivory Coast called for a meeting to discuss the chemical weapons attack in Syria. Both meetings have been scheduled for Monday.
"The Security Council has to come together and demand immediate access for first responders, support an independent investigation into what happened, and hold accountable those responsible for this atrocious act," the US ambassador to the UN, Nikki Haley, said in a statement.
French President Emmanuel Macron also accused Damascus of being behind the alleged chemical attack in a phone call with Trump late Sunday, the Élysée Palace said in a statement.
Macron "strongly condemned the chemical attacks on April 7 against the population of Douma", the statement said, adding that the two leaders shared information "confirming" the use of chemical weapons.
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, meanwhile, described the Syrian regime’s bombing of Douma as a “gross violation of international humanitarian law”.
Referring to Macron's prior warning that France could strike unilaterally if there was a deadly chemical attack, the foreign minister said Paris would “do its duty”.
On 4/7, amidst continuous bombardment of Douma, over 500 cases, mostly women & children, were brought to local medical centers with symptoms indicative of exposure to a chemical agent. 42 reported killed. SAMS & @SyriaCivilDef condemn attack on Douma. https://t.co/X3ufJv1a9j pic.twitter.com/VWPoDvDVItSAMS (@sams_usa) April 8, 2018
Douma is in the eastern Ghouta region near Damascus. Assad has won back control of nearly all of eastern Ghouta in a Russian-backed military campaign that began in February, leaving just Douma in rebel hands.
The Ghouta offensive has been one of the deadliest in Syria's seven-year-long war, killing more than 1,600 civilians, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Facing military defeat, rebel groups in other parts of eastern Ghouta have taken safe passage in other opposition-held areas at the Turkish border. Until now, Jaish al-Islam has rejected that option, demanding it be allowed to stay in Douma.
Syrian state media said on Sunday a deal had been struck under which Jaish al-Islam would finally leave for the town of Jarablus after saying the group had asked for negotiations.
There was no immediate comment from Jaish al-Islam, which has been one of the most prominent insurgent groups in the war.
Taking Douma would seal Assad's biggest victory since 2016, and underline his unassailable position in the war that has killed hundreds of thousands of people since it mushroomed from protests against his rule in 2011.
Sheltering in basements
The Syrian Observatory monitoring group said it could not confirm whether chemical weapons had been used in the attack on Saturday. Observatory Director Rami Abdulrahman said 11 people had died in Douma as a result of suffocation caused by heavy bombardment.
In one video shared by activists, the lifeless bodies of around a dozen children, women and men, some of them with foam at the mouth, were seen. "Douma city, April 7 ... there is a strong smell here," a voice can be heard saying.
'People hiding in basements have no way of escaping'
Medical relief organisation SAMS said a chlorine bomb hit Douma hospital, killing six people, and a second attack with "mixed agents", including nerve agents, had hit a nearby building.
Basel Termanini, the US-based vice president of SAMS, which operates medical facilities and supports medics in Syria, told Reuters another 35 people had been killed at a nearby apartment building, most of them women and children.
The joint statement from SAMS and the civil defence said medical centres had taken in more than 500 people suffering breathing difficulties, frothing from the mouth and smelling of chlorine.
One of the victims was dead on arrival and six died later, it said. Civil defence volunteers reported more than 42 cases of people dead at their homes showing the same symptoms, it said.
For the second day, barbaric air raids continue on #Douma city, more than 50 air strikes and heavy artillery shelling targeted the city since this morning @syriacivildefe teams work urgently to respond to the injured and evacuate them from the devastated areas. pic.twitter.com/nKmvExxIPvThe White Helmets (@SyriaCivilDef) April 7, 2018
Tawfik Chamaa, a Geneva-based Syrian doctor with the Syria-focused Union of Medical Care and Relief Organizations (UOSSM), a network of Syrian doctors, said 150 people were confirmed dead and the number was growing. "The majority were civilians, women and children trapped in underground shelters," he told Reuters.
Syrian state news agency SANA said Jaish al-Islam was making "chemical attack fabrications in an exposed and failed attempt to obstruct advances by the Syrian Arab Army," citing an official source.
The Syrian government has repeatedly denied using chemical weapons during the conflict.
"We have received reports of many people killed and injured in Douma in the past 24 hours. We continue to be extremely concerned for people who remain in Douma who are being subjected to escalating hostilities," UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs spokeswoman Linda Tom said.
(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS)
Date created : 2018-04-08