Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Fans and players react online to Arsene Wegner's club departure

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Syria alleged chemical attack: Gunfire delays deployment of weapons inspectors

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Cashing in on local French currencies

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Life on the canals of northern France

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

What lies ahead for Cuba after the Castros?

Read more

#TECH 24

Discovering and harnessing the power of the sun

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Can France bid 'adieu' to popular weedkiller glyphosate?

Read more

#THE 51%

Harmful for your health: When gender bias affects medical diagnosis

Read more

REPORTERS

Africa’s donkeys slaughtered for Chinese ‘miracle elixir’

Read more

Europe

French authorities evacuate abandoned airport site, clash with activists

© Loïc Venance, AFP | Gendarmes enter the so-called “zone to defend” in Notre-Dame-des-Landes, France, on April 9, 2018.

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2018-04-09

French police fired teargas and stun grenades, and were pelted with stones during a dawn swoop to clear eco-activists and anarchists from a site in western France that had been planned as a new airport.

The site in Notre-Dame-des-Landes had been squatted for years by opponents of the plan to build a €580million ($710 million) airport, which the government decided to drop in January.

Some 2,500 police took part in the evacuation that authorities said started at 6.00am. Police had already blocked surrounding roads as early at 3.30am, a Reuters journalist noted, while protesters set fire to barricades.

One police officer sustained an eye injury and a protester was arrested, said a police official who described the clashes as sporadic and relatively minor.

Ministers said the squatters had been ordered to leave after they had succeeded in getting the airport project halted. “We want to put an end to a lawless zone,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

“Illegal constructions must be brought down for things to come back to normal in Notre-Dame-des-Landes,” Interior Minister Gérard Collomb told Europe 1 radio.

“These expulsions are illegal,” a zadiste known as Camille told Agence France-Presse. “It is unacceptable that the state is driving people out of their homes. We call on everyone to resist [and] support us and to join local [protest] gatherings. We were in the framework of peaceful negotiation with the prefecture in the search for collective solutions.”

Two demonstrations in support of the zadistes were called for 6.00pm Monday in Nantes and Rennes.

Plans for a “Great West” trans-Atlantic gateway to France and Europe were first considered in the 1960s and the Notre-Dame-des-Landes site was identified in 1967, but the project stalled until being revived in 2000.

Supporters of the airport plan, designed to handle 4 million passengers a year initially, said it would have helped economic development in the Loire-Atlantique region. An old, inner-city airport 30km to the south was congested and a security risk, they said.

But opponents said it was too costly, environmentally damaging and that there was another under-utilised airport 110km to the north, near Rennes in Brittany.

Construction giant Vinci has said it is ready to discuss government compensation for the loss of its contract to develop Notre-Dame-des-Landes.

(FRANCE 24 with REUTERS and AFP)

Date created : 2018-04-09

  • FRANCE

    French government drops divisive airport plan after years of protests

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Thousands of protesters gather at proposed French airport site

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French anti-airport protesters prepare for battle

    Read more

COMMENT(S)