Scores of Palestinians were killed by Israeli army fire near the Gaza border Monday after clashes erupted as the US inaugurated the opening of its embassy in Jerusalem. Watch the day's events as they unfolded on FRANCE 24's blog below.
- On Monday, the new US embassy in Jerusalem was inaugurated, attended by a Washington delegation that included US President Donald Trump's daughter Ivanka and her husband, White House adviser Jared Kushner.
- Clashes and protests erupted over the controversial opening, with at least 58 Palestinians killed by Israeli forces in Gaza and at least 2,400 wounded, according to Palestinian Health Ministry reports.
- The White House blamed Hamas for the violence. "The responsibility for these tragic deaths rests squarely with Hamas," White House spokesman Raj Shah told reporters, adding that "Israel has the right to defend itself."
- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres urged both sides of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict to show restraint, while European foreign ministers called the US embassy move to Jerusalem unwise.
- Monday was the deadliest day in Gaza since the cross-border war between Gaza's Hamas rulers and Israel in 2014.
Click on the video player above to watch FRANCE 24's live coverage
Date created : 2018-05-14