Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Indigenous peoples: Fighting discrimination

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

From Turkey to Iran: (re)inventing kebab

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Paleontologist Kenneth Lacovara: ‘Dinosaurs were the last great champions’

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Alan Turing's nephew: ‘A Shakespearean tragedy surrounded his life’

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwe: Chamisa's lawyers contest election results in court

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

New US sanctions on Iran: Trump ups pressure after exiting nuclear deal

Read more

IN THE PRESS

‘Space Farce’? Alternative logos for new US military branch flood social media

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zambia accused of illegal handover of Zimbabwean opposition figure

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#MyCameraIsMyWeapon campaign takes on Iran's mandatory hijab law

Read more

Europe

Ukraine convicts Frenchman over Euro 2016 attack plot

© Stringer, AFP | Gregoire Moutaux, a 27-year-old French citizen, sits during a court hearing in the small Ukrainian town of Liuboml, Volyn region, on May 21, 2018.

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2018-05-22

A Ukrainian court on Monday sentenced a Frenchman to six years in jail after finding him guilty of planning a terror attack in France during the Euro 2016 football championship.

“The court today sentenced a 27-year-old French citizen over the handling of illegal weapons, ammunition and explosives... and preparing to carry out a terror attack” on French soil, a spokeswoman for the regional prosecutors, Nataliya Murakhevych, told AFP.

Gregoire Moutaux was detained on the Ukrainian border with Poland in May 2016.

Ukraine’s SBU security service said the alleged far-right extremist was found with a huge weapons cache and intended to stage 15 strikes against mosques and synagogues in France.

The SBU said Moutaux, a worker for an agricultural cooperative, had entered Ukraine in December 2015 and acquired his arsenal in the war-scarred east.

SBU-released video footage of him and an accomplice shows a huge cache of arms that included 125 kilos (275 pounds) of weapons-grade explosives.

Moutaux was arrested while he was trying to cross into Poland and SBU then said he had requested the help of a Ukrainian national to carry his arsenal haul into France.

Murakhevych told AFP that in 2015, Moutaux offered a Ukrainian serviceman 16,000 euros ($19,000) for five Kalashnikov assault rifles, two grenade launchers, 125 kilos of TNT and 100 electric detonators.

But the soldier informed the SBU about the proposal and “agreed to carry out a special task to disclose the criminal activity of the foreigner”, she added.

The French authorities have made no official comment so far.

Moutaux did not give any explanation for his actions during the trial, his lawyer Oleg Lyagutko told AFP.

“He only asked the court to take into account that he is not socially dangerous and wants to return to society as soon as possible and live a normal life,” Lyagutko said.

The lawyer added he would “partly” appeal against the ruling.

“Most likely, I will appeal the verdict regarding the prosecution for the preparation of the terrorist act, since there is practically no evidence,” Lyagutko said.

(AFP)

Date created : 2018-05-22

  • FRANCE

    French government says it foiled suspected terror attack

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Two women detained for questioning over Paris knife attack

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    More than 70 countries commit to combat terror financing

    Read more

COMMENT(S)