France's victorious players returned to a heroes' welcome on Monday after winning the World Cup for the second time with a rollercoaster 4-2 victory that set off wild revelling at home. To see how the day's events followed read our liveblog below.
- Hundreds of thousands of fans took to the streets of Paris and other cities across France Sunday, celebrating long into the night after France beat Croatia 4-2 to win the World Cup in Russia.
- The festivities continued on Monday when the victorious French squad paraded down the Champs-Élysées to a reception in the presidential residence, the Élysée Palace, in Paris after landing at 5pm (1500 GMT).
- Croatia's talismanic midfielder and captain, Luka Modric, won the World Cup's Golden Ball, awarded to the player voted the best of the tournament.
- France's electrifying 19-year-old striker, Kylian Mbappé, was voted best young player of the tournament
- Didier Deschamps has become only the third manager – after Brazil's Mario Zagallo and West Germany's Franz Beckenbauer – to win the World Cup as both a player and coach.
- Les Bleus' victorious players shook hands with Russian President Vladimir Putin, their own President Emmanuel Macron and Croatian leader Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic before getting their hands on the Jules Rimet.
Date created : 2018-07-15