Embattled former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn told CNN that his being handcuffed and paraded in front of the media by New York City Police in May 2011 was unfair, blasting the “perp walk” that is commonplace in the United States.
Embattled former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn said that the police practise of parading suspects in a crime in front of the media before they stand trial was unfair, in an interview in which he spoke about his arrest by New York City police two years ago.
“In all European and American society you are supposed to be innocent until you are convicted. And the perp walk takes place at the moment when you are supposed to be innocent,” Strauss-Kahn told the American news channel CNN.
“You are shown to everybody as if you were a criminal at a moment when nobody knows if it’s true or not. Maybe you are a criminal or not,” he added.
Strauss-Kahn was arrested in John F. Kennedy Airport on May 2011 on sexual assault and attempted rape charges. At the time, he was considered a major contender in France’s forthcoming presidential elections.
Images of him handcuffed and being escorted in by officers were broadcast widely in his native France.
New York prosecutors eventually dropped the case against him, citing the unreliable testimony of his accuser, Sofitel chamber maid Nafissatou Diallo.
“I was so angry because I didn’t understand what was going on. I didn't know why I was there.” Strauss-Kahn recalled. “I just knew something was going on that I didn’t control.”
THE STRAUSS-KAHN SEX ALLEGATIONS
- Strauss-Kahn lambasts French government
- Inside Tsipras' head
- 'Hands off Les Guignols'
- Former IMF boss Strauss-Kahn runner-up in French presidential poll
- Grexit averted as Athens' proposals edge closer to deal
- Greece: 'A gripping drama entering its final act'
- Strauss-Kahn makes bizarre ‘Jack is Back’ Twitter debut
- DSK acquitted of pimping charges
- Back to Iraq: US troops drawn in by fight against IS group (part 2)
- French court acquits ex-IMF chief Strauss-Kahn in prostitution ring trial
- France’s Strauss-Kahn awaits verdict in pimping trial
- Film inspired by DSK scandal released in the US
- Verdict in Strauss-Kahn pimping trial set for June
- Classy quotes from the Strauss-Kahn trial
Date created : 2013-07-10