- Egypt - Hosni Mubarak - unrest
Ailing Mubarak's name to be wiped from public places
An Egyptian court on Thursday ordered the name of ousted president Hosni Mubarak to be removed from public places as the public prosecutor announced that the ailing Mubarak may be sent to jail or to a prison hospital.
AFP - Egypt on Thursday mulled sending Hosni Mubarak to jail or to a prison hospital as reports emerged the ousted president's health is "unstable" and a court ruled that his name be removed from public places.
Egypt's public prosecutor Abdel Magid Mahmud Mahmud has ordered a medical team to head to Sharm el-Sheikh where Mubarak is under arrest in hospital to "establish his latest health condition and the possibility of having him transferred to Tora prison or to the prison hospital," his office said.
The prosecutor has also ordered that preparations be made at the hospital in Tora prison, in Cairo's south.
The medical team will head to Tora prison hospital "to evaluate the facilities and equipment and make the necessary preparations to have former president Hosni Mubarak moved there based on his medical condition," it said.
Soon after the prosecutor's statement, Egypt's state news agency MENA reported that Mukarak's health is "unstable."
Mubarak, 82, "is in suite 309 and his health is unstable," a medical source in Sharm el-Sheikh was quoted as saying by MENA.
Mubarak, who quit February 11, is being held in connection with violence against protesters during 18 days of anti-regime rallies that ended his 30-year grip on power. He is also being questioned on corruption charges.
His two sons, Alaa and Gamal and several of his ministers and senior aides, are also being held in the Tora prison complex on various charges as part of a sweeping probe into corruption and abuse.
An official commission said on Tuesday that Mubarak was complicit in shootings of anti-regime protesters as he tried to face down the popular revolt.
Judge Omar Marwan, the commission's secretary general, was speaking at a news conference after the release of its report's summary, which said 846 civilians died in the protests that led to Mubarak's ouster.
Twenty-six policemen were also killed in the unrest, the report said, adding that police used excessive force against demonstrators and shot at people trying to film the events from balconies and windows.
"What is confirmed is that Mubarak's permission (to use live fire on protesters) must be obtained. The shooting lasted for several days, and he did not hold accountable those who fired live rounds," Marwan said.
"That confirms his involvement in responsibility," he said.
Mubarak was last week remanded to 15 days' preventive custody in a hospital room. He was hospitalised last week after a heart attack.
His former interior minister Habib al-Adly is on trial for the shootings, while his former spy chief Omar Suleiman, who was briefly vice president in his last days in office, was grilled Tuesday in connection with violence against demonstrators.
The commission's report found that most of the dead had been shot in the head and chest, which indicated the use of snipers.
"If (the bullets) did not kill the victims, they maimed their faces and destroyed eyes," the report said, adding that hospitals reported "a large number of eye injuries" from gunshots.
The perception that Gamal, a 47-year-old former investment banker was widely seen as his father's heir to the presidency, as well as a flawed parliamentary election in November 2010 that left Mubarak's National Democratic Party with more than 90 percent of seats, spurred the nationwide protests that ended the strongman's three decades in power, the commission said in its report
Meanwhile a Cairo court ruled Thursday that the name of Mubarak and that of his wife, Suzanne, be removed from all "public places, streets, libraries and other public institutions across the country," MENA reported quoting Judge Mohammed Hassan Omar.