Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou has told FRANCE 24 that the terrorists responsible for Thursday's twin attack on a military base and a French uranium mine in Niger came from Libya.
Latest update: 18/01/2013
- Algeria - François Hollande - French military - government - hostages - Mali
French intervention in Mali: can France sustain its military efforts? (Part 2)
Friday January 11th, French combat helicopters flew into northern Mali to stop the advance of islamist fighters who control the north of the country, and that includes the local branch of Al Qaeda. And France is now waging war in the Sahara desert, to rid Mali and the entire region of these groups. How does this impact the Hollande presidency? Will it define his political future?
By FRANCE 24
On the set:
- Michael Kirtley, Journalist, National Geographic & Africa International; Independent filmmaker;
- Gabriele Parussini, Paris Correspondent, Wall Street Journal;
- Mark Deen, Journalist, Bloomberg News;
By Skype from London:
- Philip Stonor, Former Deputy Defence Attaché at the British Embassy in Paris;
Prepared by Cyril Vanier and Léa Berdugo