Mourinho in talks with Inter Milan
Issued on: Modified:
Chelsea's outspoken former coach Jose Mourinho was in Milan on Friday to start talks with Inter, according to his personal adviser and various Italian and Portuguese media. He would replace Roberto Mancini, whose contract runs until 2012.
Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho travelled to Italy on Friday for talks about a job with Inter Milan, said his personal adviser Eladio Parames.
"Jose has left for Milan for talks with Inter's directors," Parames told Reuters without giving further details.
Earlier this month, Inter coach Roberto Mancini said he wanted to quit the Serie A champions at the end of the season only to reverse his decision the following day.
On Thursday, Inter owner Massimo Moratti laughed off speculation he was lining up a replacement for Mancini.
"There is all this stuff to deny but I no longer have the patience to do it," he told reporters.
An Inter spokesman did not deny Friday's reports but said Moratti was not in Milan and reiterated the owner's comments about being fed up of denying rumours.
Mourinho has been linked with a host of top European clubs since his spell with Chelsea came to an end in September when the Premier League club said their relationship with the Portuguese had "broken down".
Mourinho, who dubbed himself the 'Special One' when he took over at Stamford Bridge after lifting the Champions League with Porto in 2004, was adored by Chelsea fans after winning two Premier League titles, two League Cups and an FA Cup.
The Portuguese, who has expressed a desire to work in Italy or Spain, was in Milan with his agent Jorge Mendes on Friday.
Inter remain top of Serie A but the gap has narrowed to just four points after they lost 2-1 at home to Juventus on Saturday while second-placed AS Roma beat Empoli 2-1.
Mancini was upbeat despite the defeat.
"We have an advantage, we have eight games left, hopefully we'll regain some players this week and I think we can win all eight," he said.
Mancini, who has four years left on his contract, shocked reporters on March 11 by announcing he wanted to quit following the Champions League last-16 defeat by Liverpool.
But after his change of heart the 43-year-old, in charge since 2004, looked set to stay on following talks with Moratti.
"I thank president Massimo Moratti for giving me strength, understanding the situation and understanding me," Mancini said the day after the Liverpool defeat.
He did not say he would stay for the long term but Moratti said the coach's desire was to fulfil his contract.
Mourinho was the media's favourite to take over if Mancini stood by his decision to quit.
Earlier this season, media reports said Moratti had held talks with Mourinho but the club and the Portuguese denied it.
Some media reports have said the speculation upset Mancini and it could have been a reason for his behaviour.
However, it appears the disappointment at going out in the Champions League first knockout round for a second straight season was the major factor.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe