China concerned over ICC Sudan decision
Issued on: Modified:
China expressed "grave concern" over the International Criminal Court’s call for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir’s arrest on the grounds of genocide in Darfur. China feels this would undermine stability in the region.
Hours after the International Criminal Court (ICC) formally called for the arrest of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in
Several nations have objected to the ICC decision, including China.
"The ICC's actions must be beneficial to the stability of the Darfur region and the appropriate settlement of the issue, not the contrary," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao told a regular news conference.
In an interview with FRANCE 24 on Monday, Sudanese Foreign Minister Sammani al-Wassila denied that war crimes had been committed in Darfur and dismissed the ICC’s arrest call as a politically motivated move.
“There is no mass murder in Darfur,” al-Wassila told
Warning that the ICC’s arrest call could jeopardise peace talks, al-Wassila said the fighting factions in
Al-Wassila’s warning was echoed by the African Union on Monday. "The AU's position is that nothing should be done that might jeopardise the peace processes in
But international rights experts have dismissed Sudan’s claims that the ICC warrant request would affect peace efforts in Darfur. “The peace process in Darfur has been dead long before this request for an arrest warrant,” said Richard Dicker, director of the International Justice Program at the New York-based Human Rights Watch. “I don’t think you can attribute the stalled peace process to the ICC."
‘Bashir masterminded and implemented a plan’
Earlier on Monday, ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo told judges that the Sudanese president bore criminal responsibility for alleged atrocities committed in
In his request, Moreno–Ocampo said “Bashir masterminded and implemented a plan to destroy in substantial part the Fur, Masalit, and Zaghawa groups on account of their ethnicity.” He accused al-Bashir of using the Sudanese armed forces and recruiting Janjaweed militia to commit genocide.
The ICC prosecutor noted that 35,000 people had been killed outright in attacks while 2.5 million others were subject to a campaign of "rape, hunger, and fear" in refugee camps.
The ICC judges can now begin debating whether to issue an arrest warrant against al-Bashir, the first serving president to be pursued by an international court.
While the ICC judges have no deadline to issue an arrest warrant, the UN Security Council has the power to intervene to defer any prosecution for a year.
Speaking to reporters in Khartoum Monday, Sudanese Vice President Ali Osman Taha said the government was in discussions with Security Council members “especially China and Russia” in an attempt to block a formal arrest warrant.
Security tightened due to backlash fears
In a statement issued by his spokesman in
The joint UN-African Union Darfur mission, UNAMID, has evacuated its non-essential staff from the region, but continues to maintain its operations in the crisis-ridden zone.
Amid rising fears of retaliation in international aid circles, Taha said the Sudanese government would attempt to protect international aid workers in the region. But, he warned, “nobody can guarantee full security” due to the growing domestic outcry against the ICC accusations.
Several international aid agencies have also tightened security in the region, fearing an upsurge in violence by al-Bashir’s supporters.
On Sunday, thousands of demonstrators rallied in
Shortly after the ICC news made the headlines, a few dozen people protested outside the British embassy and the U.N. headquarters in
Referring to Sunday’s demonstrations, Zouhir said they were attended by “all the (Sudanese) political parties - even those not in government – to express their solidarity with the president. That will change the political environment in
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe