Davenport withdraws from singles tournament
Date created : Latest update :
Former Olympic tennis champion Lindsay Davenport has been forced to pull out of the Beijing women's singles tournament due to a knee injury, though she is still hoping to play doubles with Liezel Huber.
Former Olympic champion Lindsay Davenport has withdrawn from the singles tournament in Beijing, the International Tennis Federation (ITF) said on Friday.
Davenport, who has been struggling with a right knee injury, is still hoping to play doubles with Liezel Huber.
The 32-year-old American has not played a match since Wimbledon in June where she was forced to withdraw in the second round.
Three-times grand slam champion Davenport, who came out of retirement last year after giving birth to her son with the specific intention of competing in Beijing, still hopes to win another medal to go with her gold from Atlanta in 1996.
"I'm fortunate to have the number one (doubles) player in the world as a doubles partner," Davenport told reporters.
The ITF said it would confirm who will replace Davenport on Saturday. The Olympic tennis tournament begins on Sunday.