Chelsea and Man United share the points; Arsenal stays on top

Chelsea managed to preserve their 85-game unbeaten streak at home thanks to a late goal by substitute Salomon Kalou in the 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Stamford Bridge. The draw leaves Arsenal alone at the top of the table.


Salomon Kalou was Chelsea's hero as they came from a goal behind against champions Manchester United to extend their unbeaten home Premier League record to 85 matches with a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge here Sunday.

Park Ji-Sung gave United an 18th minute lead when, after Dimitar Berbatov's shot was parried by Chelsea keeper Petr Cech, he slotted the loose ball home.

But unmarked substitute Kalou drew Chelsea level 10 minutes from time when he headed in a John Obi-Mikel free-kick.

The final score saw the Blues move to with a point of leaders and London rivals Arsenal as they went above Liverpool and into second place on goal difference.

European champions United were left seven points behind Arsenal and six adrift of Chelsea.

"We started the game well and I thought we dominated it," United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said. "If anything we should have been going for the jugular when it was 1-0.

"I feel we have missed a good chance obviously. If we had had a bit more energy we would have been OK."

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari said: "The result is normal when you see the chances for both teams. We had more chances but we missed some of them."

Goals weren't a problem for Manchester City as they thrashed fellow UEFA Cup competitors Portsmouth 6-0 at Eastlands, a victory that left Mark Hughes's men in fifth place.

Aston Villa went fourth after a 2-1 Midlands derby win away to West Brom. Elsewhere, Everton came from 2-0 down to hold Premier League new boys Hull to a 2-2 draw while Tottenham stayed bottom after a goalless clash with Wigan.

Robinho, making his second league appearance since joining Manchester City from Real Madrid for a British record 32.5 million pounds, teed-up fellow Brazilian Jo to score his first goal in England's top-flight before finding the net himself.

City captain and Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne also got his name on the scoresheet before Shaun Wright-Phillips claimed his first goal since returning to the club for a second spell.

Substitute Ched Evans added to Portsmouth's embarrassment in the closing stages, the 19-year-old grabbing his first senior goal for the club. And there was still time for Gelson Fernandes, another substitute, to score.

Visitors Villa stunned home fans at the Hawthorns with two first-half goals in quick succession from John Carew and Gabriel Agbonlahor.

Albion hit back through James Morrison before half-time but Villa had done enough for their third league win from five matches this season.

"John and Gabby are forging a terrific partnership," said Villa manager Martin O'Neill.

"I thought Agbonlahor was terrific but John is essential for us in many aspects. He gives us a little bit of presence up there and can play a bit himself."

Leon Osman rescued a point for Everton at the KC Stadium after Hull had gone 2-0 up either side of half-time thanks to a Michael Turner's first-half header and an own goal from Phil Neville.

But Tim Cahill's controversial late strike gave Everton a lifeline and Osman capitalised with the equaliser 12 minutes from full-time.

Kamil Zayatte could only stab his clearance from an Osman shot at Cahill - and the Australian blasted a shot against the crossbar which bounced down and, according to the referee's assistant, over the line.

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning