Skip to main content

Nadal pulls out of Shanghai Masters Cup

Spain's world number one Rafael Nadal pulled out of the Shanghai Masters on Monday after withdrawing from the quarter-finals of the Paris Masters with a knee injury. His place at the season's grand finale will be taken by France's Gilles Simon.

ADVERTISING

World number one Rafael Nadal of Spain said on Monday that he had pulled out of the Shanghai Masters and his place would be taken by France's Gilles Simon.

"I have decided not to compete in the Masters Cup in Shanghai. As I say this is one of the most difficult decisions in my career due to the importance of the event," he said in a statement posted on his official web site.

The 22-year-old, who had to pull out of his Paris Masters quarter-final on Friday with a right knee injury, said it had been "a long and difficult year" which had left him without "the freshness needed to play at the top level of the game on these last events."

"I want to recover and be ready for the important Davis Cup final with my country that will be played in Mar del Plata, Argentina. That is also another reason for not coming to Shanghai," he added.
 

This page is not available

The page no longer exists or did not exist at all. Please check the address or use the links below to access the requested content.