Pakistan PM rejects India's 'unsubstantiated' allegations
Issued on: Modified:
Pakistan has rejected India's formal accusation that "elements from Pakistan" were responsible for deadly attacks in Mumbai, saying that India had yet to provide proof. India has demanded that Islamabad hand over a number of terror suspects.
AFP - Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani on Tuesday urged India to provide evidence that Pakistanis were involved in the deadly Mumbai attacks and promised to cooperate if proof was provided.
"They have given us some of the organisations ... but that is not evidence. If they will give us evidence we are commmitted that we will extend full cooperation," Gilani said in an interview with CNN.
"Let the proof come, then we will give our point of view."
India has said that all the gunmen involved in last week's 60-hour assault on targets in Mumbai, which left 172 people dead, were Pakistanis and that "elements" in Pakistan were to blame for the attacks.
New Delhi has stopped short of blaming the Pakistani government for the carnage, but intelligence officials have pointed the finger at Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba, an Islamic militant group fighting Indian rule in Kashmir.
Gilani denied there were differences between his government and Pakistan's powerful military after plans to send the head of the ISI military intelligence agency to India to help investigate the Mumbai attacks were reversed.
And he also played down reports that Pakistan could move troops away from the fight against Al-Qaeda and Taliban militants in the country's northern tribal areas to reinforce security on its eastern border with India.
"I am again telling you that Pakistan will act very responsibly, and we have talked to all our friends that they will use their good offices to defuse the situation."
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe