FOOTBALL - TRANSFERS

Kaka is staying at AC Milan, says Berlusconi

Brazilian playmaker Ricardo Kaka will not move to Manchester City, said AC Milan owner and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi. Manchester City sent a world record 150 millions euros cash offer to AC Milan for the player.

Advertising

REUTERS - Kaka is staying at AC Milan and will not move to Manchester City, a spokesman for the Serie A club said on Monday.

 

"Kaka is staying at AC Milan. Official," the spokesman said.

 

Media reports said City had bid a world record 110 million euros ($145 million) for the Brazil playmaker and that the clubs and the player's representatives had been in talks for most of the day.

 

Italian media carried quotes from Milan owner and Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi saying it would be impossible to sell such an important player.

 

Berlusconi had said at the weekend that it would be very tough to hang on to the player given the sums of money involved.

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning