Scarponi takes Giro 6th stage, Di Luca holds on to pink jersey
Issued on: Modified:
Michele Scarponi of the Diquigiovanni team claimed victory in the Tour of Italy sixth stage, a first in his career, after leading almost from start to finish. Fellow Italian Danilo Di Luca retained the race lead.
REUTERS - Italy's Michele Scarponi led from almost start to finish in a stunning display of stamina to take the sixth stage of the Giro d'Italia on Thursday. Danilo Di Luca, the 2007 winner, hung on to the leader's pink jersey.
Diquigiovanni's Scarponi won by a large margin on the 248 kilometre ride from Italy's Bressanone, which was longer but gentler than the previous two mountain stages.
Seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong kept pace much better than on Wednesday's run.
1. Danilo Di Luca (Italy / Team LPR ) 22hrs 11mins 15secs
2. Thomas Lovkvist (Sweden / Columbia ) +5"
3. Michael Rogers (Australia / Columbia ) +36"
4. Levi Leipheimer (U.S. / Astana ) +43"
5. Denis Menchov (Russia / Rabobank ) +50"
6. Ivan Basso (Italy / Liquigas ) +1:06"
7. Carlos Sastre (Spain / Cervelo ) +1:16"
8. Chris Horner (U.S. / Astana ) +1:17"
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe