Terror suspect charged over bomb plot
Issued on: Modified:
Afghan-born Najibullah Zazi has been charged in New York with conspiring to launch a bombing attack in the US by using “one or more weapons of mass destruction,” according to a New York grand jury indictment.
Reuters - A Colorado airport shuttle driver has been charged in New York with conspiring to launch a bombing attack in the United States, according to an indictment unsealed on Thursday, while a U.S. official said any imminent threat had been thwarted.
A New York grand jury charged Afghan-born Najibullah Zazi with plotting with unidentified others as far back as Aug. 1, 2008 to “use one or more weapons of mass destruction,” according to the indictment.
Zazi, who U.S. authorities have said admitted to the FBI that he took a bomb-making course at an al Qaeda training camp in Pakistan, previously had been charged with lying to investigators in a federal court in Colorado.
“We are investigating a wide range of leads related to this alleged conspiracy, and we will continue to work around the clock to ensure that anyone involved is brought to justice,” Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.
“We believe any imminent threat arising from this case has been disrupted, but as always, we remind the American public to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to law enforcement,” Holder said.
Zazi’s father, Mohammed Wali Zazi, also has been charged with lying to authorities in Colorado, as has Ahmad Wais Afzali, a New York City imam.
All three Afghan-born men have maintained their innocence.
The Justice Department said they planned to request that Zazi be transferred to New York to face the charge, which carries a life sentence. The government also plans to ask that he be held until trial.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe