Bayern, Porto take upper hand after first leg

Bayern Munich defeated 10-man Fiorentina 2-1 thanks to a controversial last-minute goal in the Champions League last 16 first leg, while Porto took advantage of two errors from Arsenal to notch up a 2-1 victory.



- A controversial Radamel Falcao effort gave Porto a 2-1 win over Arsenal in a Champions League last-16 first leg on Wednesday, but the English side will take heart from Sol Campbell's away goal on his return to the tournament after four years.
Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger was left fuming at referee Martin Hansson for the 51st-minute goal, but his side were caught sleeping as Ruben Micael quickly took an indirect free kick in the visitor's box to give Falcao the easiest of tap ins.
The Swedish referee, who was at the centre of the storm around Thierry Henry's handball in France's World Cup playoff against Ireland last year, penalised a Campbell back pass to his keeper and then allowed the free kick to be taken instantly.
Porto had gone ahead in the 11th minute when keeper Lukasz Fabianski bungled Silvestre Varela's cross into his own net. But Campbell, returning to the Champions League for the first time since the 2006 final, was left unmarked at a corner and headed in the equaliser seven minutes later.
Bayern snatch last-gasp win over Fiorentina
Substitute Miroslav Klose headed an 89th minute goal to give Bayern Munich a 2-1 win over Fiorentina in their Champions League first knockout round first leg tie on Wednesday.
Bayern, who had won their last 12 games in a row in all competitions, went ahead with an Arjen Robben penalty in first-half stoppage time after a foul on Franck Ribery.
Per Kroldrup levelled for the Italians five minutes after the re-start, turning in the ball from close range after a corner.
Fiorentina had Massimo Gobbi sent off for an apparent elbow in Robben's face in the 73rd minute.


Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning

Take international news everywhere with you! Download the France 24 app