Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

UN lifts sanctions on Eritrea after 9 years

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

CNN v. Trump to decide if reporters have a right to White House access

Read more

THE DEBATE

The Hard Sell: Will Theresa May's Brexit plan fly?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

US Supreme Court Justice Breyer urges Americans to 'participate in public life'

Read more

FOCUS

Syria's Armenian minority building new life in Yerevan

Read more

ENCORE!

Film show: On the red carpet for the world premiere of 'Fantastic Beasts 2'

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Chinese 're-education' camps: Muslim Uighurs speak out

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Secret screenings: Director Sam Abbas brings LGBTQ film to Middle Eastern audience

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Onion-gate? Australian hardware store sparks anger over changes to hot dog stand

Read more

Europe

Fatal bomb attack strikes Dagestan

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2010-05-13

Eight people, most of them workers, were killed Thursday in an early-morning bomb attack in Russia's violence-plagued North Caucasus province of Dagestan, police said.

AFP - Eight people were killed on Thursday in a bomb attack in Russia's southern region of Dagestan, the latest unrest in the troubled North Caucasus, officials said.

"At around 10:30 (0630 GMT), an explosive device went off as repair workers drove by in a vehicle," the investigative committee of Russian prosecutors said in a statement.

"As a result, eight people died and four police officers escorting the workers were wounded."

The victims were workers who were sent to fix a cell phone mast that had been blown up the previous day by unidentified attackers in the district of Sergokalinsk, investigators said.

"Police were sent to the scene and a shootout is currently in progress with the attackers," a spokesman for the local branch of the Federal Security Service told AFP.

A group of investigators had set off for the scene and information on the dead and wounded was being checked, the investigative committee said.

The workers from the republic's radio and television broadcasting centre may have been lured into an ambush by rebels and blown up by a landmine, Russian NTV television reported.

The police wounded included the commander of the republic's riot police, ITAR-TASS news agency reported.

The local pro-Kremlin authorities in Dagestan and other North Caucasus regions are battling to defeat an Islamist insurgency that has already left scores of civilians and police dead.

Date created : 2010-05-13

  • RUSSIA

    Car bomb targets military base in Dagestan

    Read more

  • RUSSIA

    Medvedev calls for 'severe' anti-terror measures on Dagestan visit

    Read more

  • RUSSIA

    Teenage widow identified as Moscow bombing suspect

    Read more

COMMENT(S)