Two French nationals who were kidnapped in a crowded Niamey restaurant Friday and taken into the desert by suspected al Qaeda-linked terrorists, have been found dead after a failed military operation involving French forces near the Malian border.
REUTERS - Two French hostages kidnapped in Niger were found dead on Saturday after a failed rescue operation involving French forces, Defence Minister Alain Juppe said.
Juppe said in a statement in Paris that the kidnappers had been pursued to the border with Mali in an operation coordinated with French forces in the region.
"Four men wearing turbans armed with automatic weapons entered the bar. Three went straight to the table the Frenchmen were at while the other one remained at the entrance," said Mamane Rabiou Aboubacar, who was in the bar at the time.
Photo © Claude Ménager under the Creative Commons license on Flickr.
Date created : 2011-01-08