Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Cameroon's Constitutional Court rejects last petition for re-run

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Music stars, French art and a dead cat's renaissance

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Khashoggi Affair: Evidence mounts against Saudi Crown Prince

Read more

#TECH 24

Next stop space: Japanese company constructing nanotube 'space lift'

Read more

#THE 51%

The Gender Divide: Record number of women running in U.S. midterms

Read more

REPORTERS

Reporters: Brexit, a sea of uncertainty for fishermen

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Fishing in France's Grau du Roi harbour, a family tradition

Read more

FOCUS

French education reforms under tight scrutiny

Read more

ENCORE!

FIAC 2018: Paris's one-stop shop for Contemporary Art collectors

Read more

Africa

Judge adjourns Mubarak trial, halts live TV coverage

Video by Catherine NICHOLSON

Text by NEWS WIRES

Latest update : 2011-08-15

The trial of Egypt’s former leader Hosni Mubarak and his two sons has been adjourned until September. The judge also stated Monday that the trial of Mubarak, who was on a stretcher and caged in the courtroom, would not be broadcast live on TV.

AFP - Egypt's ousted president Hosni Mubarak, bound to a stretcher and caged, appeared in court on Monday before the judge announced a three-week adjournment and an end to live television broadcasts.

The judge, Ahmed Refaat, also decided that the trial of Mubarak and his former interior minister, Habib al-Adly, would be merged, as demanded by the lawyers of families of those killed in Egypt's January-February uprising.

Refaat put a halt to live television broadcasts of the trial, which opened on August 3 with a brief session held on Monday that went into recess before the adjournment to September 5 was announced.

Mubarak was earlier flown in by helicopter and then driven in an ambulance to the court at a police academy in a Cairo suburb.

Thousands of riot police were deployed along with armoured cars outside the court to keep apart pro- and anti-Mubarak demonstrators watching the trial second's session on a giant screen.

But an AFP reporter said scuffles and stone-throwing erupted between the two groups, with at least five people lightly injured.

'Easier to get a conviction if cases are joined'

At the opening session, Mubarak pleaded not guilty of the premeditated murder of protesters who took to the streets to oust his regime in an uprising which erupted on January 25.

Mubarak, as in the first hearing, was placed reclined on the stretcher in the dock, exchanging brief words inside the cage with his two sons and co-defendants on graft charges, Gamal and Alaa.

They have also pleaded innocent to the graft accusations.

As proceedings resumed when judge Ahmed Refaat sat down, the former president lay with hands clenched together across his chest, while his two sons tried to shield him from the television cameras.

Mubarak confirmed his presence in a low voice, while the judge called for silence from the dozens of arm-waving lawyers packed into the courtroom.

The 83-year-old former leader is accused of involvement in the killings of hundreds of anti-regime activists during the revolt which on February 11 ended his three decades in power.

He is being held in a military hospital on the outskirts of Cairo.

Mubarak's dramatic appearance in court last week came as a shock to Egyptians who watched the proceedings on live television. Few believed he would ever be seen in court.

Defence lawyer Farid al-Deeb has asked judge Refaat to call 1,600 witnesses, including top military officials.

The military was called out on January 28, after protesters torched police stations across the country, and took charge on February 11 when Mubarak resigned.

Ahmed Mekki, a retired deputy head of Cairo's appeals court, said the trial would move on to investigating the evidence and calling witnesses, first for the prosecution and then for the defence.

But the court would probably cull the list of witnesses demanded by Deeb, which would provide him with solid ground for appealing a possible guilty verdict, said one of the lawyers representing victims in civil suits.

"If the court does not listen to all the witnesses, it will give grounds for appeal," said Taher Abu Nasr, whose Front for the Defence of Egyptian Protesters represents 35 plaintiffs.

Most of the lawyers have yet to review the thousands of documents of evidence that have been provided by the court, some say belatedly.

But judging by the cases of dozens of police commanders who face charges or are on trial over alleged crimes during the revolt, they fear the evidence against Mubarak to be patchy and ill-prepared.

Legal experts say that a thorough investigation into Mubarak's alleged crimes should have taken several more months, but the military and the government expedited the process to mollify protesters.

On Sunday, Adly's trial was adjourned to September 5 after a turbulent session.

The hearing was suspended four times in three hours by judge Refaat, who was visibly exasperated by a long list of demands presented by the lawyers of shooting victims.

More than 850 people were killed in the 18 days that led to Mubarak's ouster, and thousands more were wounded.

Please see below for our blog of the days events as they happened.

 

 

Date created : 2011-08-15

  • EGYPT

    Can liberals unite ‘For the love of Egypt’?

    Read more

  • EGYPT

    Mubarak due back in court as trial resumes in Cairo

    Read more

COMMENT(S)