Mladic war crimes trial set for May 14
Issued on: Modified:
The trial of Ratko Mladic (pictured), the former commander of Bosnian Serb forces who faces genocide and war crimes charges, is set to begin on May 14, the UN’s special war crimes tribunal said Wednesday.
AFP - Bosnian Serb ex-army chief Ratko Mladic, who faces charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes, will go on trial on May 14, the UN's Yugoslav war crimes court said Wednesday.
"The trial shall commence on Monday, 14 May 2012, with the opening statement of the prosecution," the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) said in a document filed before the court.
This will be followed by an opening statement by the defence, if any, and by Mladic himself, "if he so wishes," the document said.
The trial itself was scheduled to run from May 29 to July 13, The Hague-based court added.
Mladic, 69, was arrested in May last year in northeastern Serbia for his part in Bosnia's bloody 1992-95 war that claimed more than 100,000 lives.
The man referred to as "The Butcher of Bosnia" faces 11 counts which include some of the worst attrocities committed on European soil since World War II, including the massacre at Srebrenica in July 1995 in which more than 7,000 Muslim men and boys were murdered.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe