Toulouse siege ends - review the drama on FRANCE 24's blog
Date created : Latest update :
Mohamed Merah, 23, who confessed to killing three French soldiers and four people at a Jewish school, died Thursday after police launched a dramatic assault on his home in Toulouse following a 32-hour stand-off. Review the events on FRANCE 24's blog.
Summary of Thursday’s events in Toulouse, where the stand-off between police and gunman Mohamed Merah has come to a dramatic end.
• At around 10.45am police decided to storm the flat where Merah has been holed up for around 32 hours after it became clear he would not surrender.
• At around 11.25am commandos threw stun grenades into the apartment but did not notice any signs of life inside.
• Video surveillance equipment was sent into the flat to determine the suspect’s whereabouts. When it approached the bathroom Merah appeared “all guns blazing” armed with a sub machine gun.
• Police say a fierce fire fight ensued and Merah jumped through the window of his apartment. As he did so he was shot in the head and died from his wounds instantly.
• Two officers from the elite RAID division were wounded as they stormed the flat, one of them “seriously”.
• French President Nicolas Sarkozy announced an immediate crackdown on those visiting extremist websites promoting terrorism and warned France would not tolerate “indoctrination”.
• Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said Merah had recorded his three shootings and claimed to have uploaded the videos to the web.
• An investigation is underway to determine whether gunman Merah had any accomplices.
For smartphone users, click here to follow this live blog
Live blog from Wednesday, March 21: "Besieged gunman 'confesses' to killings"