Is Algeria celebrating the past to avoid talking about the present? 50 years after independence, François Picard’s panel looks at how the love-hate relationship with France and the civil war of the 1990s cloud the conversation over how to stamp out corruption and curb the influence of the military.
- Malek SERRAI, Economist,Former Advisor to President Bouteflika
- Mathew CONNELY, Professor, Department of History, Columbia University, Author of A Diplomatic Revolution: Algeria's Fight for Independence and the Origins of the Post-Cold War Era
- Najy BENHASSINE, NABNI Toung civic leaders initiative (Notre Algerie Batie sur de Nouvelles Idees)
- Pierre CONESA, French Political Institute Sciences-Po, author of " La fabrication de l'ennemi", Former High Commissioner, French Defence
- Mohamed HNID, linguist and Professor at INALCO
Program prepared and produced by Christopher Davies, Mary Colombel and David Boratav