Al Qaeda's bid for Syria
Issued on: Modified:
A victory for Assad? The jihadist Al-Nusra Front's pledge of allegiance to Al Qaeda puts the Syrian opposition and Western powers in a pickle. At the G8 foreign ministers meeting in London, U-S Secretary of State John Kerry is quoted as saying he can make 'no promises' that weapons sent to rebels in Syria won't fall into the wrong hands.
- Pierre BERTHELOT, Research Associate, Institute for Prospective and Security Studies in Europe
- Elias WARDE, Member of the Syrian National Council and Member of Syrian Christians for Democracy
- Abdel Bari ATWAN, Managing Editor, Al Quds Al Arabi (from London)
- Rania ABOUZEID, Middle East Correspondent, Time (from Beirut, Lebanon)
- Anna NEISTAT, Associate Director, Program/Emergencies, HRW (from Kilis, Turkey)
Produced by Valériane Gauthier, Anelise Borges, Christopher Davis.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe