Last French hostage released
Issued on: Modified:
More than three years after he was captured by al Qaeda militants in Mali, Serge Lazarevic, the last French hostage in Africa, has been released, French President François Hollande announced Tuesday.
In a statement released Tuesday, Hollande noted that Lazarevic was “relatively healthy, despite the very harsh conditions of his long captivity”.
Lazarevic was flown to Niger's capital Niamey on Tuesday evening en route back to France. TV footage showed the 50-year-old Frenchman smiling as he met with Niger’s president Mahamadou Issoufou.
“I have lost around 20kg but it’s ok, I am in good shape,” Lazarevic told reporters. “I would like to thank the people of Niger who have collaborated with France to get me freed.”
Lazarevic is due to arrive back in France at 07h30 local time (06h30 GMT) on Wednesday at Villacoublay airport near Paris, where he will be met by Hollande, the president’s office said.
Lazarevic was kidnapped by al Qaeda’s North African branch, AQIM (Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb), from a hotel in Hombori on November 24, 2011.
The Paris-based businessman, who has joint French and Serbian nationalities, was seized along with a French geologist, Philippe Verdon, a year before northern Mali fell to jihadist control following a March 2012 military coup.
In July 2013, French authorities confirmed that Verdon had been killed following an AQIM statement that the group had killed the French geologist “in retaliation” for the French military operation in Mali launched in January 2013.
Announcing the release Tuesday, Hollande thanked Malian President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and Niger’s President Mahamadou Issofou for their work and “personal commitment” to securing Lazarevic’s freedom.
It was not known if Lazarevic was held in Mali or neighbouring Niger after his capture. Militants in the desolate Sahel scrubland region are known to cross borders using ancient smuggling routes in one of the world’s most inhospitable regions
Video messages from captivity
Lazarevic was last seen in a video released on November 18 along with a Dutch national appealing to their respective countries to negotiate their release.
The footage showed Lazarevic inside a pickup truck and there was nothing in the footage to indicate where the video was shot.
In the video, an obviously ill Lazarevic said he was suffering from several health problems and that his situation had worsened since France joined the international coalition against the Islamic State group in Iraq earlier this year.
"I have a kidney problem, I suffer from high blood pressure, asthma and also my knee [is weak],” said a breathless Lazarevic. “I feel my life is in danger since the French intervention in Iraq…I ask you, Mr. President to do everything for my release because you are responsible for everything that happens to me.”
AQIM periodically released images of Lazarevic while he was in captivity pleading with French authorities to secure his freedom.
A previous video of Lazarevic, broadcast in June on the Dubai-based Akhbar Al Aan TV station, showed the 50-year-old Frenchman also urging Hollande to negotiate his release.
Kidnappings and ransoms prove big business for al Qaeda
There was no immediate word of whether a ransom was paid for his release. While French authorities repeatedly maintain that France does not pay ransoms, Western diplomats say European countries such as France, Spain and Italy are widely known to use intermediaries to pay million-dollar ransoms to militants in exchange for the release of their nationals.
In a July 2014 article, the New York Times estimated that al Qaeda and its direct affiliates have taken in at least $125 million in revenue from kidnappings since 2008, of which $66 million was paid in 2013 alone.
Lazarevic’s release came days after two hostages -- US photojournalist Luke Somers and South African aid worker Pierre Korkie -- were killed in Yemen during a failed rescue attempt launched by US and Yemeni forces.
Speaking to reporters a day after Somers and Korkie were killed, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel defended the rescue attempt and said that the US would not be reviewing its operations to free Americans being held by militants.
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe