Pictures show ‘catastrophic’ effects of Boko Haram attacks
Issued on: Modified:
Leading human rights groups on Thursday released satellite images showing “catastrophic” destruction of two Nigerian towns by Islamist group Boko Haram, in what is feared to be the deadliest strike of the militants' six-year insurgency.
Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch published separate images of Baga and the nearby town of Doron Baga, on the shores of Lake Chad, in the far north of Borno State in northeast Nigeria.
Hundreds, if not thousands, of people are feared to have been killed in the attack that is thought to have targeted civilian vigilantes who had been helping the army. According to reports, one victim reportedly was a woman being killed while in labour.
But Nigeria's military, which often downplays death tolls, said that 150 died and dismissed as "sensational" claims that 2,000 may have lost their lives.
HRW said the exact death toll remained unknown and quoted one local resident as saying: "No one stayed back to count the bodies.
"We were all running to get out of town ahead of Boko Haram fighters who have since taken over the area," the resident said.
Amnesty's images showed aerial shots of the two towns, which have been hit previously by fighting, on January 2 – the day before the attack – and January 7, after homes and businesses were razed.
The group said the images show more than 3,700 structures – 620 in Baga and 3,100 in Doron Baga – damaged or completely destroyed.
At least 16 settlements around Baga were burnt to the ground and at least 20,000 people fled, according to local officials.
“These detailed images show devastation of catastrophic proportions in two towns, one of which was almost wiped off the map in the space of four days,” said Amnesty Nigeria researcher Daniel Eyre.
HRW said 11 percent of Baga and 57 percent of Doron Baga was destroyed, most likely by arson, saying the greater damage was done to Doron Baga because it housed a regional military base.
The Multinational Joint Task Force of troops from Nigeria, Niger and Chad has been involved in counter-insurgency operations against Boko Haram.
Harrowing testimony has been emerging from survivors about the scale and brutality of the assault in Baga.
Eyewitnesses told AFP of seeing decomposing bodies in the streets and one man who escaped after hiding for three days said he was "stepping on bodies" as he fled through the bush.
Amnesty on Thursday quoted survivors saying Boko Haram fighters had killed a woman as she was in labour, during indiscriminate fire that also cut down small children.
"Half of the baby boy (was) out and she died like this," the unnamed witness was quoted as saying.
A man in his fifties added: "They killed so many people. I saw maybe around 100 killed at that time in Baga. I ran to the bush. As we were running, they were shooting and killing."
Another woman said: "I don't know how many but there were bodies everywhere we looked."
French Medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said on Tuesday that its team in the Borno State capital, Maiduguri, was providing assistance to 5,000 survivors of the attack.
The UN refugee agency has said that more than 11,300 Nigerian refugees have fled into neighbouring Chad.
Amnesty said the eyewitnesses and images reinforced the view that the attack was Boko Haram's "largest and most destructive" in its fight to establish a hardline Islamic state in northeast Nigeria.
"The deliberate killing of civilians and destruction of their property by Boko Haram are war crimes and crimes against humanity and must be duly investigated," it added.
Some 300 women were said to have been rounded up and detained at a school, witnesses told Amnesty, adding that older women, mothers and children were released after four days but the younger women kept as hostages.
The Baga attack came before presidential and parliamentary elections in Nigeria next month. An upsurge in violence is apparently designed to undermine the legitimacy of the vote.
Nigeria's electoral commission said voting was "unlikely" in rebel-controlled areas and arrangements were being made to allow hundreds of thousands of displaced people to cast their ballots.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe