Income inequality is 'brake on growth', Oxfam chief warns Davos

The World Economic Forum brings together some of the most powerful - and richest - people in the world. It may seem like an odd place to discuss poverty and growing income gaps. But that’s exactly what the charity Oxfam International is hoping to achieve. On the eve of the Davos meeting, it published a report which found that 1 percent of the world’s population will own more wealth than the other 99 percent as of next year.

Advertising

FRANCE 24's Markus Karlsson sat down with Oxfam's Executive Director Winnie Byanyima in Davos. "I am not here for window-dressing", she told him, "I am here because I am pushing for solutions". Among the solutions she suggests to help reduce income inequality are an effective minimum wage and clamping down on tax evasion.

"The leaders who need to make those decisions are here and they are listening", Byanyima said, pointing out that such decisions are also good for business. "Many business leaders now understand that if economic inequality is not reduced, it is a brake on growth’, she told FRANCE 24.

Daily newsletterReceive essential international news every morning

Take international news everywhere with you! Download the France 24 app