Skip to main content

Tunisian authorities arrest Moroccan suspect in Bardo museum attack

Fethi Belaid, AFP | A member of the Tunisian security forces stands guard at the visitors’ entrance of the Bardo National Museum in Tunis on March 19

Tunisian authorities have arrested a second Moroccan suspect in connection with a deadly attack in March on the Bardo National Museum in Tunis, the interior ministry said on Thursday.

Advertising

Noureddine al-Naibi was arrested on Sunday at the Ras Jedir border post on the frontier with neighbouring Libya on suspicion of indirect involvement in the attack, ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told AFP.

Last week, another young Moroccan man was arrested in Italy for allegedly helping in the March 18 attack carried out by two Tunisian gunmen, in which 21 tourists and a policeman were killed before the assailants were also shot dead.

The Islamic State (IS) group claimed responsibility for the attack on the historical museum, which is known for its collection of Roman mosaics.

Tunis pinned responsibility for the massacre on Lokmane Abu Sakhr, an Algerian jihadist killed by Tunisian security forces at the end of March.

Around 50 people have been detained in Tunisia as part of the investigation into the attack.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.