Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa vows to recover 'looted cash' in VBS bank collapse scandal

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

EU rejects Italy's budget proposal

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

A climactic day in fallout of Khashoggi killing

Read more

THE DEBATE

The Pressure on Saudi Arabia: What Turkey knows about Khashoggi murder

Read more

ENCORE!

The Joubran Trio: 'We hope one day to be free of our identity'

Read more

FOCUS

Fields of despair: Suicide plagues French farmers

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Was Tanzanian billionaire's kidnapping 'a political warning'?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

OAS chief urges ICC to open formal probe into Venezuela crimes

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Down syndrome in France: 'People are ready for inclusion, institutions must catch up'

Read more

France

Outcry continues as Saudi royalty build elevator on public French beach

© Valery Hache, AFP

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-07-23

A small French town once again interrupted construction of a private elevator to a public beach from a nearby villa owned by the Saudi royal family, the mayor said Wednesday.

Authorities in the small French Riviera town of Vallauris Golfe-Juan sounded the alarm last week when they realized that the Saudi royal family, who owns a luxury villa there, blocked off access to a picturesque local beach that they want to privatize for their upcoming vacation.

Read more at France 24: http://www.france24.com/en/20150716-saudi-royals-illegally-close-off-french-public-beach

The family had begun construction without submitting a planning application or getting a go-ahead from the regional authorities. Town officials said last week that they were going to remove the barricades constructed by the Saudis on Mirandole beach, which is only accessible by a tunnel that runs beneath a coastal railway line. However, the construction began again this week, according to Vallauris Mayor Michelle Salucki.

"I went to the beach [Wednesday] morning at 7:30am and I saw a crane that was depositing construction material to be used to build an elevator connecting the beach to the villa,” said Salucki.

She halted the work immediately as it was being done without a permit. State authorities eventually authorised the work around mid-day and the construction continued.

However, Salucki was so enraged by the site that she decided to send two letters of “protest” to President François Hollande and Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve.

"I understand that there are security concerns [for the royal family],” Salucki said. “But the law must be respected and things must be done in order. My letter is about the necessity that everyone be treated equally under the law.”

 

Date created : 2015-07-23

  • FRANCE

    Saudi royals ‘illegally’ close off French public beach

    Read more

  • SAUDI ARABIA

    WikiLeaks reveals Saudi political intrigue, lavish spending

    Read more

  • FRANCE - SAUDI ARABIA

    France to sign deals worth $12 billion with Saudi Arabia

    Read more

COMMENT(S)