Saudi strikes on Yemeni civilians condemned by Human Right Watch
Issued on: Modified:
At least ten air strikes carried out by a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen broke the laws of war and killed civilians, Human Rights Watch alleged Friday.
The strikes are listed in a major new report by the watchdog, which estimates that 2,500 Yemeni civilians have died in coalition strikes since March.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE and other Arab allies -- with logistical support from the United States -- are battling Huthi rebels on behalf of the Yemen government.
Riyadh has furiously denied previous reports of indiscriminate bombing, but Friday's detailed report cites a wealth of witness testimony.
The strikes in the report killed at least 309 civilians, wounded at least 414 and were in breach of the allies' obligation to investigate alleged war crimes.
"Human Rights Watch found either no evident military target or that the attack failed to distinguish civilians from military objectives," the report said.
"Human Rights Watch is unaware of any investigations by Saudi Arabia or other coalition members in these or other reported cases."
"We have data about documented strikes, and witness testimonies. If the Arab coalition doesn’t hit civilians, then how do they explain the death toll?", Ahmed Benchemsi, Communications Director at the Middle East division of Human Rights Watch, told FRANCE 24.
The 10 suspect attacks took place in Huthi-controlled Sanaa, Amran, Hajja, Hodeida and Ibb and hit residential houses, market places, a factory, and a civilian prison.
Washington has given strong diplomatic backing to the Saudi offensive and earlier this months approved a $1.29 billion sale of bombs to renew its ally's arsenal.
Britain and France are also major arms suppliers to Saudi Arabia and its Emirati ally.
Human Rights Watch urged the United Nations Security Council to investigate its allegations and to remind the warring parties of their legal responsibilities.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)