Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ENCORE!

The Joubran Trio: 'We hope one day to be free of our identity'

Read more

FOCUS

Fields of despair: Suicide plagues French farmers

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Was Tanzanian billionaire's kidnapping 'a political warning'?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

OAS chief urges ICC to open formal probe into Venezuela crimes

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Down syndrome in France: 'People are ready for inclusion, institutions must catch up'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Who is still going to Saudi Arabia's investment conference?

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Cameroon's Paul Biya wins seventh term in poll marred by low turnout

Read more

#THE 51%

The Gender Divide: Record number of women running in US midterms

Read more

THE DEBATE

The Nativist: Trump warns of migrant 'emergency' ahead of midterms

Read more

France

Compensation for Paris attack victims ‘could reach €300m’

© Joel Saget / AFP | A picture shows flowers laid in memory of victims in front of the Casa Nostra restaurant, one of the sites of November’s terror attacks in Paris, on December 2, 2015, in Paris

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2015-12-17

Compensation for the victims and their families of last month’s terrorist attacks in Paris "could reach a total of €300 million", France’s justice minister Christiane Taubira said Thursday.

A government fund set up in 1986 to compensate victims of terrorist acts has “already paid out €6.7 million to the families of deceased victims” of the November 13 attacks in which 130 were killed by Islamic State group terrorists, Taubira told French daily Le Parisien.

Another €771,000 has been paid to those wounded in the attacks and their families and to cover the travel costs of relatives, said Taubira.

In the wake of the attacks, the French government set up a dedicated hotline for victims and their families, including those who had witnessed the attacks and suffered psychological damage as a result, to help them access the compensation fund.

From the day of the attacks until the end of November, around 11,000 calls to the hotline were made, said Taubira.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

Date created : 2015-12-17

  • TOURISM

    Security fears blight Paris tourism a month after attacks

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    Paris to archive notes and drawings left after attacks

    Read more

  • AUSTRIA - FRANCE

    Two arrested in Austria over suspected links to Paris attacks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)