Some toil all their lives to try and earn a decent wage and offer their children a better life...Others have it easier... among them, the very lucky few, the world's richest one percent...A select group that's getting richer and richer.The non-profit Oxfam published a report on Monday that says the world's richest 1% is now wealthier than the rest of us, the other 99%Another figure in the report - 62 individuals have the same amount of money as the combined wealth of 3.6 billion people or the poorer half of the world's total population. Oxfam and other other groups have been calling for world leaders to tackle the sources of such inequality. On top of the list, tax havens:SOUNDBITE 2 - Katy Wright, head of Global External Affairs (woman, English, 19 sec)"Now one recent estimate is that there's about 1.76 trillion dollars in tax havens around the world. If taxed, that's billions for schools, hospitals, poverty - and we need to see this money being put into the hands of ordinary people who need it, rather than simply sitting in the bank accounts of people who are wondering when they are going to buy their next diamond."The widening gap between the haves and have-nots is not about to go away...But as the Davos economic forum kicks off - how to bridge that gap will be one of the topics of discussion, for even groups like the IMF have warned of the dangers of such disparities.

oxfam richest 1 percent own more than rest

The richest one percent of the world's population now own more than the rest of us combined, aid group Oxfam said Monday, on the eve of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos.