Video: At least 36,000 displaced by recent South Sudan fighting
A tenuous ceasefire appeared to be holding Tuesday in the South Sudanese capital of Juba after days of clashes that have killed hundreds and displaced at least 36,000 others.
The ceasefire was called by both President Salva Kiir and his longtime political rival and vice president, Riek Machar, a day earlier. Juba residents began to cautiously leave their homes as the calm held.
An August 2015 peace deal was supposed to end the conflict but has so far failed to do so, despite the return of rebel leader Machar in April to join a government of national unity alongside Kiir.
There has been no estimate so far of civilian or military casualties from the heavy clashes on Sunday and Monday, but Adama Dieng, the United Nations' Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide, said some civilians "were reportedly targeted based on their ethnicity".
Kiir is from the Dinka tribe and Machar is a Nuer. South Sudan's civil war has been characterised by ethnic massacres between the two groups, as well as rape, sexual slavery, murder and the use of child soldiers.
The head of the UN World Food Programme (WFP) said 75 percent of the population needed humanitarian aid after the fighting, adding that the WFP had "over 2,000 people taking shelter inside our compound with our staff".
"Three-quarters of the population of South Sudan is in need of humanitarian assistance," WFP chief Ertharin Cousin said in Amman.
Click on the video player above to see the full FRANCE 24 report.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)