Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Mexico's seaweed invasion: Disaster or opportunity?

Read more

ENCORE!

Joaquin Phoenix: 'Jacques Audiard is unique, even among French directors'

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

Iwao Hakamada, the Japanese boxer still fighting... for his life

Read more

IN THE PRESS

Should supermodels' catwalk strut be protected by copyright?

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

Child development: Inside a child's incredible brain

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US hits China with trade tariffs on $200bn of goods

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Venezuela's exodus: How long can Latin America cope?

Read more

FOCUS

Spaniards divided over future of Franco monument

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Former German diplomat Joachim Bitterlich: 'We cannot accept any extremism'

Read more

France

Dozens killed as lorry ploughs into crowd in Nice

© AFP | Police officers and rescued workers stand near a van that ploughed into a crowd leaving a fireworks display in the French Riviera town of Nice on July 14, 2016.

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2016-07-15

At least 84 people have been killed after a lorry ploughed into a crowd attending Bastille Day celebrations in the French city of Nice on Thursday night, in what is being investigated as a terror attack.

Here are the main developments so far:

  • At around 11pm local time a lorry ploughed into a crowd of people in the southern French city of Nice towards the end of a fireworks display to celebrate the Bastille Day holiday.
  • The lorry drove at a high speed for a distance of around 2km through the crowd, according to witnesses and officials.
  • The driver of the lorry was shot dead by police.
  • The death toll rose to at least 84 people, including children, with around 20 more critically injured, the interior ministry said Friday.
  • French President François Hollande said the attack was “clearly of a terrorist nature”. It is being investigated by France’s anti-terror unit.
  • Hollande said a state of emergency implemented after the November terror attacks in Paris and due to end on July 26 will be extended by another three months.

Follow the latest develoments with FRANCE 24's live blog below.

To view the live blog on a smartphone or tablet, please click here.

 

Date created : 2016-07-14

  • BELGIUM-FRANCE

    Belgium hands over two more Paris attacks suspects to France

    Read more

  • EUROPE

    Europeans worry migrant influx increases risk of terrorism, poll shows

    Read more

  • FRANCE

    French authorities identify real leader of Paris attacks, report says

    Read more

COMMENT(S)