Suspected gunman kills himself after deadly Munich mall shooting
Issued on: Modified:
At least 10 people are dead, including the suspected gunman, after a shooting that began in a shopping centre in the German city of Munich Friday evening.
- At least nine people were killed in the attack, with another 21 injured, according to the police. 16 of the wounded remain in hospital, three of whom in a critical condition.
- Children and young people were among the dead and injured.
- Police have said that the suspected gunman was found dead around 1km from the scene after committing suicide and following a vast manhunt. They believe he was the sole shooter.
- The suspect has been identified as an 18-year-old German-Iranian dual citizen. He was not previously known to police and his motives are as yet unclear, according to officials.
- The attacks started in a fast food restaurant, after which the suspect continued the attack outside, according to police.
- Munich transportation temporarily halted services on multiple trains, tram and bus lines after the shooting.
- Munich’s central train station was evacuated shortly after the shooting.
Follow events as they unfolded with our live blog below.
Click here to view this live blog on your smartphone or tablet.
Daily news briefReceive essential international news every morningSubscribe