Donald Trump takes office as 45th US president
Date created : Latest update :
Donald Trump was sworn in on Friday as the 45th president of the United States, while Mike Pence became Vice President.
Here are the day’s main developments:
• Republican Donald Trump and his vice president, Mike Pence, took the oath of office at noon (17:00 GMT) Friday outside the US Capitol building in Washington, DC.
• The ceremony is expected to have drawn around 900,000 people, including protesters, with some 28,000 officers on hand to secure downtown Washington.
• President Trump led a standing ovation for Hillary Clinton at the inaugural luncheon.
• More than 90 people were arrested in connection with protests that turned violent on Friday, according to the DC Police. Demonstrations are ongoing in the capital, though the inaugural parade was not disturbed.
• The Women’s March on Washington promoting women’s rights and gender equality is scheduled for Saturday and, if Facebook registration is any indication, could be one of the largest in history.
Read our live blog to see how the day's events unfolded.