Skip to main content

Suspect in Louvre museum attack placed under formal investigation

Alain Jocard, AFP | Policemen arrive at the Louvre museum on February 3, 2017, shortly after a soldier shot and gravely injured a machete-wielding assailant.

A man who attacked soldiers with machetes at the Louvre museum in Paris was placed under formal investigation on Friday, a judicial source said.

Advertising

Egyptian Abdullah Reda al-Hamahmy, 29, was shot and seriously wounded when he launched himself at a group of soldiers on Feb. 3, crying out "Allahu Akbar" (God is greatest) in what French President Francois Hollande described as a terrorist attack.

Louvre attack: visitors shaken but unscathed

He has told police that he identified with the beliefs of Islamic State but he had not carried out the attack on orders from the militant group, a judicial source told Reuters earlier on Wednesday.

"The accused was put under formal investigation for alleged attempted murder of public servicemen...in connection with a terrorist venture and criminal terrorist conspiracy...with a view to prepare crime," the judicial source said on Friday.

The source added that Hamahmy was still in hospital.

(REUTERS)

Page not found

The content you requested does not exist or is not available anymore.