Armed kidnappers have taken hostage five gold mine workers, including a Frenchman, in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the French foreign ministry said Thursday.
The kidnapping victims work for Banro, a Canadian gold mining corporation that runs two mines in DR Congo and is exploring for the mineral elsewhere in the vast, resource-rich nation.
"We confirm the presence of a French national among the people kidnapped on March 1 in the east of DR Congo," the ministry said in a statement.
The local media had earlier reported the kidnapping, adding that it had taken place in the Kabambare area of Maniema province in the east of the country.
The French foreign ministry, which did not give the nationalities of the other victims, added that it had no information on the attackers' identities.
"We are mobilised and working with the Congolese authorities to shed light on the facts and to ensure our compatriot's release," the statement said.
Date created : 2017-03-02