Deadly ‘terror incident’ strikes Parliament, Westminster Bridge in London
Issued on: Modified:
An attacker killed three people, including a police officer, at the UK Parliament and on Westminster Bridge Wednesday before being shot dead by the police in what the Metropolitan Police has called a “terrorist incident”.
- The attack in the heart of London began when a car was driven at high speed over Westminster Bridge, when it mowed down several people before crashing near the Houses of Parliament.
- An attacker, armed with a knife, stabbed a police officer before he was shot dead by security officials.
- The dead included the attacker, a police officer and two other victims who were killed on Westminster Bridge.
- More than 20 people were injured, according to the Metropolitan Police. The injured include three French students.
- British Prime Minister Theresa May condemned the “sick and depraved” attack. After chairing a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee late Wednesday, May however said the UK was not changing its terror threat level. Parliament would meet “as normal" on Thursday, said May, before urging the country to move on and also behave as normal.
- French President François Hollande has condemned the incident and said French and UK intelligence services are working closely together.
- Follow the day’s events as they unfolded on FRANCE 24’s live blog below.
To view FRANCE 24’s live blog on your mobile device, click here.