The Manchester Arena terror attack: What we know so far
Date created : Latest update :
Police say at least 22 people have been killed -- many of them children -- in a suicide attack at a concert venue in the northern UK city of Manchester. The Islamic State group has claimed the attack.
Here's what we know so far:
- Salman Abedi, 22, has been named by the police as the suspected suicide bomber.
- Police say at least 22 people have died and 59 injured after the explosion at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena at around 10.25pm on Monday night.
- US pop star Ariana Grande has a young fan base, and the venue was packed with children.
- The youngest known victim has been identified as an eight-year-old girl.
- Concert-goers described hearing a massive explosion followed by panic as young people tried to flee the venue.
- The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- British police held a series of raids across the city and arrested a 23-year-old man. Security services are still examining whether the bomber had accomplices.
- Thousands of people gathered for a vigil by City Hall in the heart of Manchester on Tuesday evening, in a mark of respect to the victims and in solidarity.
For all the developments from today as they happened, follow our blog below.
To view the live blog on a mobile or tablet device please click here.