China, India vow to uphold Paris climate deal after Trump quits
Date created : Latest update :
World leaders reacted with anger and defiance after US President Donald Trump said Thursday the United States, the world's second-biggest carbon emitter, was quitting the 2015 Paris climate deal, which the EU, China and India have vowed to uphold.
- Trump said the Paris accord would undermine the US economy, cost US jobs and weaken American national sovereignty.
- World leaders lashed Trump’s decision as misguided and vowed to defend a deal they view as crucial for the planet’s future.
- The world's top polluter China and third-placed India both vowed to uphold the Paris agreement.
- French President Emmanuel Macron said that Trump had made a mistake and rejected the suggestion of renegotiating the deal.
- Leading US business figures also called Trump’s move a blow to international efforts to halt global warming.
Read our live blog to follow the day's developments below.