UK police arrest 12 people over London attack
Issued on: Modified:
UK Prime Minister Theresa May called on Sunday for a stronger response to Islamist extremism after knife-wielding men mowed down and stabbed revellers in central London, killing seven people and injuring 48. Follow the day's events on our liveblog.
- London police said Saturday's attacks that took place on London Bridge and in the nearby popular nightspot Borough Market were “terrorist incidents’’.
- Officials say seven people have been killed, in addition to three terror suspects who were shot dead by armed police.
- Ambulance services says 48 patients are being treated in five London hospitals; 21 of them are in a critical condition.
- Police on Sunday arrested 12 people in Barking, east London, in connection with the attack.
- One Frenchman is among the dead and several more are injured, according to French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian.
- UK Prime Minister Theresa May said the country would not postpone June 8 general election, adding that these terrorists want to disrupt Britain’s democracy.
To follow the live blog on a mobile or tablet device please click here.